Young children learn differently than older children do. Each age group has certain characteristics that make their learning needs unique. That’s why at LIMA TKD, we structure our children’s classes to target those areas where each age group needs the most specialized attention. This allows for the most beneficial learning, specifically geared to your child’s age and developmental level.
3-5 Years Old (Kids)
- Most are extremely active and curious.
- Some are introverted and shy.
- Very flexible and resilient, both physically and mentally.
- Searching for limits on behavior.
- Enjoy encouragement and appreciation.
- Simple activities that develop basic skills like coordination, balance, following directions, etc.
- Skills that develop major muscle groups, such as running, jumping, kicking, punching, etc.
- Discipline through consistent enforcement of clearly defined rules.
- Encouraging effort and cooperation more than results.
6 to 12 Years Old (Juniors)
- Great Physical confidence, but tend to overestimate abilities.
- Establishing identity separate from parents.
- Strong desire for knowledge.
- Sensitive to criticism, and difficulty handling failure.
- Teaching skills in greater detail.
- Providing many opportunities for success in the class.
- Encouraging responsible behavior and goal setting.
- Activities to encourage group cooperation.
12 to 15 Years old (Pre-Teen & Teen)
- Great concern about physical appearance.
- Girls excel in flexibility and balance; boys excel in strength and speed.
- Some attention span lengthens.
- Ability for sustained aerobic developed.
- Encourage strengths, compensate for weaknesses.
- Give sufficient feedback and instruct the student how to improve.
- Begin teaching complex skills that require lengthy practice.
- Encourage the student to compete at higher level, if he/she is interested.